2016 Confucius Institute Scholarship Application
of Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
In order to support the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate the popularization of Chinese language and culture in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarships” program for providing sponsorship to students, scholars and Chinese language teachers of other countries to study in universities in China.
Guangdong University of Foreign Studies (hereinafter referred to as GDUFS), one of the units of MTCSOL, is now recruiting Confucius Institute Scholarship students in 2016.
I. Application Requirement
Application is open to applicants who own a non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition (Applicants currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall not exceed the age limit of 45). The sponsorship covers 2 academic years.
Applicants should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 50 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who can provide the employment agreement of being a teacher after graduation are preferred.
The “Chinese Bridge” (Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students) Winners who have been awarded the 2016 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” will be admitted after submitting their honor certificates.
II. Time for Admission
Applicants of MTCSOL can choose to get enrolled and start their academic years either on September 1st, 2016 or March 1st, 2017.
III. Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching, management, Chinese language proficiency tests (HSK/HSKK), and cultural and social activities for scholarship holders.
Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions which should provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually a room with twin beds). For those who live off campus with the permission of host institutions are entitled to accommodation allowance from host institutions on by month or by quarter. The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
Living allowance is granted by the host institutions on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are: RMB3,000 per month. Enrollment status is based on semesters of host institutions. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowance of that month. Students, who are enrolled after the 15th of that month, are only entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month later upon confirming the graduation status by host institutions.
During the study, for any students who is absent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations on international students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. The insurance fee per person is RMB800 per year.
The Students of MTCSOL are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarships consist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance.
IV. Admission Procedure
Scholarship recruitment is open all year round on a trial basis. Applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions will find the information of admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
1. For application, please log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are entrusted by Hanban, work as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, document collection and transmission to the host institutions.
3. Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, GDUFS will then review and decide the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days after the application materials are confirmed as valid.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants, GDUFS will post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application either in case of fraudulent application materials or in case of application materials are completed and submitted not by the applicant himself.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with the GDUFS on time should inform GDUFS about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
VI. Contact Information
Address：MTCSOL Education Center, Room 402, 3rd Teaching Building of GDUFS, No.2 BaiYun North Street, Guangzhou, Guangdong China (510420).
Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarships
If the following documents are not in Chinese or English version, notarization documents should be provided.
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
2. Score reports of the HSK, HSKK or BCT, BCT (Speaking). Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions may submit the award certificate and the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate”.
3. Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for.)
4. Certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation), and an official transcript.
5. Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Those who can provide an employment agreement or related documents with the designated teaching institution are preferred.